Friday, February 22, 2008

American Girl (or Easy Westerner with Loose Morals)

After chatting with my roommate’s boyfriend about how difficult I’m finding learning Arabic, she told me to, “Lay off.” It was a weird confrontation about how horrified she was that I would try to take the love of her life. It caught me off-guard—I’d never found him remotely attractive or thought about him in that way. It’s one of the things that really irks me about Egyptian culture. Egyptian girls here may wear a headscarf, but they also wear LOADS of makeup, high-heals and skinny jeans, and flirt like the most seasoned airhead Valley girl from LA. What you see less of is serious and casual conversation, which I think is why when I talk to a guy for more than a minute I'm accused of being an over-sexed foreigner. There’s something terribly intimate I guess in actually connecting conversationally.

1 comment:

Cameron said...

Never thought of that second part. I suppose it is probably threatening to speak seriously with someone. But yeah, stupid too.