Friday, August 24, 2007

inshah allah

This morning we had two hours of academic orientation. While the administrators are all incredibly warm and welcoming, things are incredibly disorganized. "inshah allah" is the motto--basically "god willing." it's really very useful. for example, if my professor asks me if I will give him my paper in one week, I have the perfect positive, non-commital response: "inshah allah." It removes my agency from the situation. My paper will get done if god wills it. And if it doesn't get done? It wasn't meant to be.

But this gets extremely frustrating when we want answers regarding housing, and course registration, and shuttle buses. Because when Tomader tells me "of course you will have housing my Monday, inshah allah" I cannot be sure whether she means it, or whether she's just trying to shut me up...

No comments: